I’ve been making bread for over two years. I was making great crusty breads I loved, but I lacked a favorite wheat bread. I wanted something a bit softer, and all the wheat breads I’d tried so far were a bit too dense and just didn’t seem to work with peanut butter in my opinion. My favorite store bought wheat bread is Roman Meal with the round top and I’d been trying to make a bread along those lines. I think this is my winner.
Soft Honey Wheat Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2TB brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1tsp salt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
- Combine warm water, butter, brown sugar, and yeast.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add egg, salt, and honey.
- Stir in flour with a wooden spoon or stand mixer’s dough hook.
- When combined, continue mixing with dough hook for a couple minutes or knead by hand a few minutes.
- Cover and let rise in bowl for about an hour.
- When ready to bake, form into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan.
- Slash the top and let rise another 40 minutes or so.
- Brush top with melted butter if you like and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Cool fully before slicing.